Sunday, November 1, 2009

Persimmon and Walnut Bread


This is the recipe that I used for my Persimmons.

Type of Persimmon ~ Hachiya (it looks like a tomato, and looks like an overripe tomato when it is ready, slice open and spOOn pulp out.)
Eat as is, or freeze like I did. Then defrosted the morning I made the bread.

I doubled my recipe and made two loaves. And it was VERY nice. Lots of compliments. I had made the second loaf for the Neighbor across the street who brought me the Persimmons. You Give, You Get! ") .
He's already told me that He will bring me more next year when He brought my dish back today.



I used two glass loaf dishes, (9x5x3), cOOked in gas oven. I did cook them longer than the 45mins, probably closer to an Hour or even an Hour and Ten minutes. The outside was getting dark, especially around the edges, so I was worried about burnage. So I turned it down to 300 degress for the extra time after 45 mins. Just watch your outside and use your wooden pick to check the inside.

It turned out not to be burnt, and EXTREMELY moist on the inside. Dense and YummY. I put the flavor in the same category as Banana Bread or a subtle Carrot Cake Bread. It was definitely worth the whole process from Persimmon to Homemade Cake/Bread!

Here's the recipe (I doubled this for my two loaves):
************************************************************************
PERSIMMON AND WALNUT BREAD

2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 c. persimmon pulp
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. milk
2 eggs
1/4 c. softened butter
1 c. chopped nuts (I used walnut halves and then broke them into chunks)

Sift the first 6 ingredients together. Mix the persimmons, sugar, eggs and milk. Add the dry ingredients and butter. Mix until well blended. Stir in nuts. Spread in a well-greased loaf pan, 9x5x3 inch. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until done. This bread freezes well.
*************************************************************************

I found this online while looking for other recipes.
For those looking for a healthier version (I have not tried this recipe; just sharing)
chefinyou.com/2008/12/per...read-recipe/

No comments:

Post a Comment