Wednesday, July 14, 2010

sAND cANDLES

Beach Holiday.
Perfect for making Sand Candles.
So we did.
 
Supplies.
I already had the supplies at home, so it was as easy 
as packing them in a box.

Candle wax
Wick
Double boiler
Scissors
Sand
Herbs
 
We brought back a couple of buckets of sand from Le Beach.

 
Melt your wax first, after everything is set up.
I improvised a double boiler by placing a tin pie pan
over a pot of boiling water on med/low heat.
I was in no way thrilled to do it this way 
and would have preferred a better alternative,
but having worked with Wax, I made do.
 
Using The Womb Fruits beach toys, 
They made  the impressions in the sand
I cut the Wick to length and used a twisted piece of tin foil to
keep it up~right.

Make sure that the impression is deep but not touching the bottom 
of you container.
SLOWLY pour the heated wax into the mold.


After the Wax has cooled all the way through,
gently lift the candle out of the sand.
If it is still warm, let it cool completely.
Use a soft brush, like a paint brush, 
to clean it up and get rid of any loose sand.

For my Candles, I chose plain drinking glasses for the mold,
and dried herbs and fruit.
Bay leaves and Dried Orange Peel.

The instructions are the same until you add the herbs.

I would fill the mold about 1/3 of the way,
add my herbs, let cool enough to hold the herbs,
and then repeat until entire mold is filled.
If you fill the whole thing with Wax,
and then add your herbs, fruit, etc.
it will all sink to the bottom.
Especially the heavier pieces like Orange Peel.

Let cool all the way through and repeat the release process.






 I was really pleased with these!

 One problem I didn't see until after all was said and done,
was the Wobble Factor with the Sand Toy Candles.
Parts of the candle were higher than others 
resulting in Lean~age.
Haven't had a chance to find a corrections for that yet.

WARNING:
AS WITH ALL CANDLES, NEVER LEAVE BURNING UNATTENDED~
MOST ESPECIALLY THOSE WITH HERBS, FRUIT, FLOWERS, ETC.
THESE CAN TURN A ROMANTIC FLAME INTO A RAGING MASS OF FLAMING WAX.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment