Sunday, May 22, 2011

Stretching a Canvas

 My most favorite part of stretching a canvas....
putting on the canvas.
It's just so.....fresh.

You can buy rolls of Canvas at various prices;
I went to the Student supply store and bought mine by the yard
since I was only doing one canvas.

Supplies:
*************
Canvas
a big ass bunch of Staples
Staple gun
Scissors
Canvas Stretcher ~ optional

Cut the Canvas to size. 
Make sure there is enough to give a few inches 
on the back of  the frame.
 Trim.
 Start Stapling.

 and stapling, and stapling, and stapling...
and so on and so on.

Looking at the picture below,
bottom is 1
top is 2
left is 3
right is 4.
This is the number order to staplestaplestaple.

I usually do 3 to 5 Staples a side before moving to the next one.

 If you're lucky enough to have one of these lovely things,
 use it.
Not only does it help with a tight stretch,
the small block is a great guide for the Staple gun
to butt up against for cleaner stapling.

 I try to get a nice clean flush fold on the edges.

Trim any extra bulky fabric, fold in, and....wait for it.....Staple.

  and there you have it.
A fresh clean Canvas to use.



Using the extra wood and left over fabric
 I put together a small canvas.
 I have the perfect paints I want to try on this.
A whole set of transparent colors.
 oh, the Intrigue.

No comments:

Post a Comment